Thursday, June 27, 2013

Steak and Corn Salad


          One of the things I miss most when I'm away at school is cooking. Although I can't complain about the dining hall food (it's pretty darn good), I do miss being hands on in the kitchen. I love figuring out recipes for the week and getting some me-time in the kitchen. Sometimes it can feel like a chore, but most often I find it is very calming. It's an opportunity for me to wind down from my day. The summer time is so exciting for me because I get three whole months to play around in the kitchen and try new things. I love getting all the ingredients. Whenever L and I walk into a grocery store, or better yet, the market, I feel like a kid in a candy shop. I wanna buy everything! Not the best reaction for a low-budget college student. I must restrain myself to finding all the deals and cheapest ingredients possible. One day I will be able to buy fancy breads and cheeses and meats, but for now Grocery Outlet works just fine. Here is a somewhat of a splurge recipe that L and I indulged in for dinner and it tasted just like summer. 

Steak
sirloin steak
salt and pepper (to taste)
olive oil (just to coat the steaks)

We marinated the steaks all day in the olive oil and salt and pepper and then broiled it on low until the centers of the steaks reached 150ºC.

Steak Sauce
mayonnaise 1/4 cup
worcestershire sauce 4 Tbs
lemon juice 1 Tbs
ketchup 2 Tbs
Sriracha 2 tsps

We whisked all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and drizzled over steaks to taste.

Corn Salad 
(modified via the Pioneer Woman's Cookbook
6 fresh ears of corn 
2 small yellow onions (diced)
2 zucchini squash (diced) 
1 red bell pepper 
2 medium tomatoes


Corn Salad Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
12 basil leaves (cut into chiffonade) 
1 teaspoon kosher salt 
2 garlic cloves (diced)

We covered the corn in olive oil and salt and pepper and then broiled the corn on low and rotated it occasionally until all sides were slightly golden. In the mean time we diced the squash, pepper, and onions and sautéed them on medium heat with olive oil, salt, and pepper until the veggies were barely softened. The tomato was then diced and all of the veggies were combined in a bowl. After the corn had cooled, we sliced the kernels off the cobs and added them to the bowl of veggies. All of the ingredients for the dressing were whisked together until slightly thickened and then added to the corn mixture. Everything was well mixed and left to marinate for a few hours before dinner. 

Thanks to my Auntie Jen who showed me this corn salad recipe! L and I can't stop eating it. It's the perfect summer time salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment