Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Soy Mac 'n' Cheese

           I am allergic to dairy and have been since I was two. It was probably a blessing in disguise because if I could have dairy I think I would weigh about 50 pounds more than I do now. However, it's always a fun challenge to recreate dairy-filled meals using soy or rice products. Homemade mac 'n' cheese is a classic, cozy meal that I always eyed with envy growing up. This week I made my own version that turned out really good! For all those vegans and dairy-free readers here is the recipe!


Ingredients
3 Tbs butter (or butter substitute if you can't have butter)
1/3 Cup of Panko bread crumbs
1 Cup of unflavored soy milk
2-1 1/2 Cups of soy cheese (I used Trader Joe brand and a parmesan/mozzarella flavor brand combined)
1/2 Tsp of cream of tartar
1/2-1 Bag of any style pasta you want 
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Sriracha to your spiciness level
An Italian sausage would be a great add in also!


1.) Bring water to boil and add pasta to the water (be sure to add salt and a bit of olive oil to the water). 
2.) Melt the butter with the soy milk in a pan on the stove over medium heat. After melted, add the breadcrumbs. Check on pasta and if al dente strain it and set aside (put olive oil over the strained pasta so it doesn't all stick together). 
3.) Next add the cheese to the butter and milk pan and whisk until melted.
4.) Add the cream of tartar (this will really thicken up your cheese sauce so if you dont want it too thick, add less).
5.) Add salt, pepper, and Sriracha to taste!
6.) Adding some kind of sausage or some veggies to this macaroni would be tasty also! However, after step five I added my cooked pasta and stirred until every piece was nicely coated.
7.) Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment